Mold is all around us. It’s in the air we breathe, hidden in the folds of our clothing, and attached to the fur of our pets. Over time, these spores make their way indoors. Under the right conditions, mold will take up residence in your home, consuming organic materials and spreading its reach further. You’ll soon be overwhelmed by a mold infestation. But first, before the mold ever becomes visible, you’ll notice little signs here and there. These signs will point you toward any hidden mold in the house. Once you find the mold, it’s best to call for professional mold remediation services from a local restoration company.
Mold and Your Allergies
One of the first, most common signs of a mold problem in your home stems from someone with allergies or current respiratory ailments, such as asthma. On occasion, you may start to display symptoms similar to that of someone with allergies, too. If you’re not sure why this recent flare-up has occurred, it could be because of mold.
You can tell if your symptoms get better once you leave the house. If they do, then mold is the likely culprit, hidden somewhere in your home.
The symptoms of a mold allergy include:
- Sore, irritated throat
- Congestion and runny nose
- Sinus headaches
- Wheezing and trouble breathing
- Itchy, watering eyes
- Irritated skin
Many forms of mold found indoors can be toxic, eventually leading to life-threatening illness. In extreme cases, these forms of mold can lead to internal bleeding, organ damage, cancer, and even death in rare situations.
Mold Warning Signs in the Home
There are countless types of mold on the planet. Some of them are extremely rare, while others are more commonplace here in Naples. Then, you have some types of mold that are highly toxic and some that are completely harmless. It’s a gamble when dealing with mold.
But, if you have mold in your home, always expect the worst. It’s usually pretty easy to tell when you have mold, as the key warning signs are straightforward:
- Odor – One of the first signs of hidden mold in the home includes a mildew-like odor that is persistent and strong nearest to the growth.
- Visible Signs – Over time, the visible signs of a mold problem will display themselves. You’ll spot clusters of black spots, though mold is occasionally gray-green, white, or even brown in color.
- Water Damage – If you’re dealing with any sort of water damage in the home, then mold can begin growing within 48 hours. A plumbing leak, for instance, is sure to promote mold growth behind the walls or within the ceiling.
- Previous Flood Damage – If your home has ever flooded, then you’re already at risk for mold growth. If the water damage was not addressed properly, the remaining moisture could become a problem very quickly.